A hidden bomb in a briefcase has exploded outside India’s high court in New Delhi, killing 11 and wounding at least 75. People had been gathered at the Delhi High Court preparing to enter the complex and file petitions when the high explosive device, went off at around 10.15am.
Based on the few eye-witnesses, Delhi Police released sketches of two suspects of the High Court blast. One is around 26-year-old and another one is 50-year-old.
P Chidambaram, home minister, immediately told parliament the bombing was a “terrorist attack” but added that it was not immediately possible to identify those responsible.
A number of Indian media outlets received an e-mail sent just before the blasts warning that India was about to receive “the Message of Death.”
“In the name of Allah, Indian Mujahedeen strikes back once more. … Do whatever you can. Stop us if you can,” said the message.
Later at around 11:30 PM an earthquake of magnitude 4.2 shook the Indian capital of New Delhi late Wednesday, officials said. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
The quake shook buildings throughout the capital for several seconds.
R.S. Dattatreya, the director of seismology for the meteorology department, said the quake was of magnitude 4.2.